Description

The Lord Lieutenant of County down

The Visit of HRH the Prince of wales to the Portico in Portaferry on 24th May 2016

Description
Description
Description
    On the 24th May 2016 HRH The Prince of Wales visited the Portico in Portaferry. The Portico is the new name for the former Presbyterian Church. This is actually the 3rd Church on this site. At the beginning of this century the upkeep of the Church was becoming too much for the small local congregation & it was taken over by the "Friends of the Portaferry Presbyterian Church". The restoration was led by Professor Neil McClure and has cost over £1.5M. The funding has come from a number of sources including many local families but the major support was a £1m grant from the Heritage lottery Fund.
    The Portico is now used as a Heritage & Arts Centre for the Ards Peninsular & is managed by Dr Verity Peet.
Description
The Portaferry Presbyterian Church was designed by John Millar, a brilliant young Irish architect. It was opened in 1842 @ a cost of £2,000 and like now, this was raised by public subscription. Millar chose to to base the building on the Doric order of the Temple of Nemesis on the Island of Rhamnous but with the Bassean order for the internal column capitals.
Chairman Ian McDonnell,       HRH,        Lord Lieutenant &  Mrs Judy Lindsay
HRH is introduced to The Mayor of Ards & North Down Borough Council, Alan Graham with the Mayoress, Winifred Graham & the CEO Stephen Reid looking on.
HRH The Prince of Wales enjoying the service of thanksgiving.
Description
Description
HRH is introduced to the daughters of Prof Neil McClure
who is the driving force behind the restoration of the Portico
Paul O'Neil & Christopher Duff of the Portaferry GAC
present His Royal Highness with a Hurley stick
$SIGNUP$
$VALIDATION$
Working... Please wait